Tribe House Blog
Posted : July 25th, 2011 by Nico Boesten
“Midway Atoll, one of the most remote islands on earth, is a kaleidoscope of geography, culture, human history, and natural wonder. It also serves as a lens into one of the most profound and symbolic environmental tragedies of our time: the deaths by starvation of thousands of albatrosses who mistake floating plastic trash for food.
The images are iconic. The horror, absolute. Our goal, however, is to look beyond the grief and the tragedy. It is here, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, that we have the opportunity to see our world in context. On Midway, we can not deny the impact we have on the planet. Yet at the same time, we are struck by beauty of the land and the soundscape of wildlife around us, and it is here that we can see the miracle that is life on this earth. So it is with the knowledge of our impact here that we must find a way forward.”
This is a fascinating project which is planned to launch as a feature film within the next little while. We met one of the main videographers, Jan Vozenilek, who has been working on this project with Seattle photographer Chris Jordan for the past couple of years. Jan recently moved to Kelowna with his family and is an inspiring artist who has a relentless drive to document and communicate the injustice happening on Midway. The real kicker is when we start to think about how we are actually responsible for this and what we can do to change this scene. As a result of this film concept, Jan has spoken at a recent TEDx conference and inspired a movement of going plastic-free where students like Emily are becoming activists for change.
- Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
- A spiritual retreat: Storytelling & the Landscape of the Soul with Gareth Higgins & David Wilcox
- Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
- Katalyst Art Gatherings with special guest Lane Merrifield
- An evening with Frank Schaeffer – New York Times best selling author
Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
July 17th - 18th
BOTTEGA FESTIVAL IS A MUSIC AND ARTS COMMUNITY GATHERING IN KELOWNA BC NESTLED IN…
InnCluded is a music compilation to benefit those without a home. Tribehouse has put together a fine music compilation to benefit “Inn From The Cold” homeless shelter in Kelowna BC.
The project is called…
Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
Adam Dickens is a photographer and designer based in London, working in the UK, East Africa and Asia.
Adam Dickens’ design work is very well known in the UK having built…
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/9P8iRAJl19 Thanks to @davidbazan @IJMCanada @robpenner #gb17 #readbyrichard
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/LlfYtwnKpC Thanks to @jjshiplettmusic @lancepriebe @IJMCanada #bob #bazantour
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/Ph6fWqWOSN Thanks to @davidbazan @Love146 @greenbelt #readbyrichard #gb17