Tribe House Blog
Art Leaks Blideo #9 – Carrie Harper on selling out
Posted : September 18th, 2011 by TribeHouse
Carrie Harper from the Pear Workshop spoke at Katalyst in Sept. & brought up some really refreshing (& challenging) topics concerning how to make a living as an artist without “selling out”. What does it mean to sell out anyway? There is a struggle in a lot of us as artists that has to wrestle with being “pure” and “staying true to our art” yet also being smart with how & where we market ourselves in order to make a living.
Social media has also completely changed the game on how we market & communicate with everyone & Carrie is a good example of an innovator in this field. By using Facebook, Twitter, and her blog, she’s managed to create some great contests & community building events along with being someone who isn’t afraid to promote other artists in the community. She’s someone who values collobaration over competition.
OK, just watch the video, she says it better. Thanks a lot Carrie for sharing your heart & your secrets – you’re an extremely generous & creative artist. It’s great to have you as part of our community.
One of the great quotes of the night was when she resolved that what she wants to have written on her tombstone is “Whatever it was, was enough”. That speaks of giving whatever you’ve got into whatever you create & do. You can’t give what you don’t have.
- Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
- A spiritual retreat: Storytelling & the Landscape of the Soul with Gareth Higgins & David Wilcox
- Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
- Katalyst Art Gatherings with special guest Lane Merrifield
- An evening with Frank Schaeffer – New York Times best selling author
Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
July 17th - 18th
BOTTEGA FESTIVAL IS A MUSIC AND ARTS COMMUNITY GATHERING IN KELOWNA BC NESTLED IN…
InnCluded is a music compilation to benefit those without a home. Tribehouse has put together a fine music compilation to benefit “Inn From The Cold” homeless shelter in Kelowna BC.
The project is called…
Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
Adam Dickens is a photographer and designer based in London, working in the UK, East Africa and Asia.
Adam Dickens’ design work is very well known in the UK having built…
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/9P8iRAJl19 Thanks to @davidbazan @IJMCanada @robpenner #gb17 #readbyrichard
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/LlfYtwnKpC Thanks to @jjshiplettmusic @lancepriebe @IJMCanada #bob #bazantour
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/Ph6fWqWOSN Thanks to @davidbazan @Love146 @greenbelt #readbyrichard #gb17