Tribe House Blog
Help Portrait Kelowna
Venue: Metro Community
In December, photographers around the world will be grabbing their cameras, finding people in need and taking their picture. When the prints are ready, the photographs get delivered. Yep. It really is that easy. This is about GIVING the pictures, not taking them. These portraits are not for your portfolio, website, or for sale. Money isn’t involved here. This holiday season, you have the chance to give a family something they may have never had before—a portrait together. Welcome to Help-Portrait in Kelowna.
LOCATION #1 @ Metro Community
Dec. 8 from 10am – 2pm
LOCATION #2 @ OK College Theatre (map)
Dec. 10 from 10am – 3pm (with additional setup & cleanup being from 8:30am – 4pm)
This is an event that we have talked about doing here in Kelowna and after a bit of digging, found out it actually has happened for the past 2 years. This event called Help-Portrait was started by celebrity photographer & activist Jeremy Cowart where the goal is to find someone in need, take their portrait, print it, and then deliver it.
In 2 years, Help-Portrait has become a “Global movement of photographers using their time, gear, and expertise to give back to those in need” where over 101,596 portraits have been given by more than 10,500 photographers around the globe.
There was a group that made this event happen in Kelowna for the past 2 years where they worked with some local organizations who were able to bring guests to be shot (ie photographed) and given the dignity & care to have their portrait taken.
This year, we have invited a bunch of organizations who work with people in need (elderly, low income, homeless, mental health etc…) to bring the people they work with for a free portrait session. Both locations will have some snacks, coffee, music, a makeup artist, and a professional photography studio setup.
But to understand a bit more, why don’t you first go ahead and watch this video about what Help-Portrait is (and is not).
The event details will be updated here as more of the pieces come together. Looking forward to seeing how this event will help make some people feel valued, cared for, and blow away with generosity this Christmas.
A FEW OF THE ORGANIZATIONS WE’VE CONTACTED TO BE INVOLVED:
- 30K Club (Kelowna Gospel Mission)
- Metro Community
- Karis Society
- Kelowna Women’s Shelter
- The Arthritis Society
- Canadian Mental Health
- BRAINTRUST Canada Association
- AG Women’s Shelter
- Friendship Centre
- HOPE Outreach
- Crossroads Transitional Centre
- Kelowna Community Resources
THANKS TO THE DONATIONS WE ARE RECEIVING FROM
- London Drugs (prints)
- Extra Foods (drinks)
- Paul’s Produce (apples)
- Cherry Hill Coffee (coffee)
- Rainbow One Hour Photo (prints)
- GAP (decorations)
- Staples (paper / signs)
- Walmart (prints)
Looking forward to seeing where this goes… if you’d like to donate to the cause, here’s an option.
- Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
- A spiritual retreat: Storytelling & the Landscape of the Soul with Gareth Higgins & David Wilcox
- Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
- Katalyst Art Gatherings with special guest Lane Merrifield
- An evening with Frank Schaeffer – New York Times best selling author
Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
July 17th - 18th
BOTTEGA FESTIVAL IS A MUSIC AND ARTS COMMUNITY GATHERING IN KELOWNA BC NESTLED IN…
InnCluded is a music compilation to benefit those without a home. Tribehouse has put together a fine music compilation to benefit “Inn From The Cold” homeless shelter in Kelowna BC.
The project is called…
Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
Adam Dickens is a photographer and designer based in London, working in the UK, East Africa and Asia.
Adam Dickens’ design work is very well known in the UK having built…
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/h7MYM6kxMd #wvadvocacy #honduras
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/Bfcp8ETjy2 Thanks to @brianmclaren @SarahBrendel #loveandmoney #actsoftheimagination
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/Epb01i9HkS Thanks to @kwilim @SarahBrendel @jjshiplett #loveandmoney #actsoftheimagination