Tribe House Blog
Art Leaks Blideo #10 – Laura Byron at Katalyst
Posted : November 1st, 2011 by TribeHouse
Having Laura Byron from the Creator’s Arts Centre speak at Katalyst last week was totally inspiring. When a doctor tells you that you’ll never be able to walk, it’s a bit of a downer…especially when you’ve got aspirations to be a dancer. This is only part of her story that was shared along with 2/3 of a dance that she’s in the middle of creating.
It was incredible to hear about her creative process as a dancer and the types of tools she uses to transfer ideas from her head onto a stage. Her talk inspired a conversation about the different forms of being an artist – that Laura teaching other young dancers is a different form of being an artist (as opposed to being in the spotlight) which is equally rewarding…
This thought sparks all kinds of questions when thinking about the term ARTIST – what type of artist are you? Could teaching someone how to clean a toilet properly also validate janitorial art? Hmmmmm.
Ute Camphausen is visiting from Germany and wrote these things about the night (taken from her blog) – check out her post to see the entire thought…
“…Slowly it dawns to me that here the term “artist” is taken much wider than only visual artists: Music and dance and writing are also “Art”, right? (For Chad even “coffee preparation” is an art 😉 )
Laura Byron now dances and performs for us a self-choreographed dance…but when she was born her legs and feet were completely crippled! Her twin had taken her space to grow so that her toes were bent up to her knees and the doctors thought it would be impossible for her to even learn to WALK! Her leg bones are still twisted like a corkscrew and an increasingly genetic arthritis brings her growing pain ….
Nevertheless, she DANCES her life’s dream!!
(What still can´t be explained by the doctors and in fact is a miracle!)
- Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
- A spiritual retreat: Storytelling & the Landscape of the Soul with Gareth Higgins & David Wilcox
- Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
- Katalyst Art Gatherings with special guest Lane Merrifield
- An evening with Frank Schaeffer – New York Times best selling author
Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
July 17th - 18th
BOTTEGA FESTIVAL IS A MUSIC AND ARTS COMMUNITY GATHERING IN KELOWNA BC NESTLED IN…
InnCluded is a music compilation to benefit those without a home. Tribehouse has put together a fine music compilation to benefit “Inn From The Cold” homeless shelter in Kelowna BC.
The project is called…
Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
Adam Dickens is a photographer and designer based in London, working in the UK, East Africa and Asia.
Adam Dickens’ design work is very well known in the UK having built…
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/Rxng3Q7L5o Thanks to @brentyler @greenbelt #hurricaneflorence #readbyrichard
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/fmSuOpHEsj Thanks to @Love146 @jeremycowart @IJMCanada #hurricaneflorence #wvadvocacy
- The latest TribeHouse Times! https://t.co/h7FCO2TxZ6 Thanks to @greenbelt @WorldVisionUSA #wvadvocacy #readbyrichard