Tribe House Blog
Can music show us that our lives are actually important?
Posted : July 26th, 2012 by Nico Boesten
“I’m addicted to the ways that music colours my world with meaning and purpose.” Are you one of those “white-budded-headphones-always” people who needs to have a soundtrack for every experience of your life?
Sam McLoughlin, author of “The Default Life” has started a little video series where he poses an interesting angle on the purpose of music in our culture. Sam (with his sweet video skills and a thick Rob Bell vibe) managed to beautifully bring up a couple of killer questions about the ultimate purpose of music like the ancient question of “Is it OK to just have art for art’s sake?”
“The best kind of music reveals something. Something true. Something glorious about our world and ourselves that maybe we never noticed before… it isn’t there to make us feel like we have more important lives than we actually do, it’s there to show us that our lives are actually important…”
How do you feel about supporting artists who just want to sell more ringtones?
How do you feel about art just being hung on a wall because it looks nice? Does all art need to have a deeper purpose?
More about “The Default Life”: http://www.thedefaultlife.com
Sam McLoughlin Bio:
I write, and I speak. I write about culture mostly: music, films, etc––but more so about the ideas we encounter in these forms of culture. I speak about the big questions we find at the intersection of culture and faith: is music a substitute for religion? Does technology make God irrelevant? Is living the American dream the best route to happiness? These kinds of things.
*UPDATE: Jane Eamon wrote a follow-up to this post here.
- Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
- A spiritual retreat: Storytelling & the Landscape of the Soul with Gareth Higgins & David Wilcox
- Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
- Katalyst Art Gatherings with special guest Lane Merrifield
- An evening with Frank Schaeffer – New York Times best selling author
Bottega Festival July 17th and 18th
July 17th - 18th
BOTTEGA FESTIVAL IS A MUSIC AND ARTS COMMUNITY GATHERING IN KELOWNA BC NESTLED IN…
InnCluded is a music compilation to benefit those without a home. Tribehouse has put together a fine music compilation to benefit “Inn From The Cold” homeless shelter in Kelowna BC.
The project is called…
Adam Dickens – TAKING PICTURES, CHANGING LIVES
Adam Dickens is a photographer and designer based in London, working in the UK, East Africa and Asia.
Adam Dickens’ design work is very well known in the UK having built…
- It's this weekend...............The beautiful Christmas Market at Bottega. Saturday and Sunday from 11 to 5pm.... https://t.co/XUK09jpvYi
- TribeHouse Times is out! https://t.co/vpLE36Pvcu Stories via @TonyCampolo @greenbelt @norm_strauss
- TribeHouse Times is out! https://t.co/Lr0WCZPGS7 Stories via @thekoreanrhino @brianmclaren @TonyCampolo